Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Why I'm Still Concerned about Yesterday's Vote and its Impact on the Economy

John Aravosis (DC) of AmericaBlog has a great post about the economy, and why people should be concerned: Why I'm still concerned about yesterday's vote and its impact on the economy

"I find fascinating this entire discussion of whether or not voting down the bailout bill yesterday poses an economic danger to the US. Markos, quoting Davis Sirota, isn't worried. It's worth reading what Markos is saying, as I think it represents what many of our own readers believe. But I have to say, I still am worried."

"Sirota says that critics are saying that anyone who is against the bill wants to see America go into another depression. Perhaps some are, but that's not really the point. It's irrelevant what your motivation is for opposing the bill. All that matters if what the economic consequence is of that position. Markos points to the market being up a few hundred points today, and says this is a sign that all is not lost. But credit markets are still frozen."

"Practically no one in America can get a loan right now. No one. So I decided to use the Google and find out more about what this credit crunch really means.But first I talked to our own financial expert, Chris, who told me:"

A market moving up as it is today in NO WAY represents a positive long term direction. Often markets that are going down and are about to capitulate will have radical swings up and down before a big bottom. Many called this crazy movement a few weeks ago and I think I mentioned it at one point. It may or may not be the case this cycle but it's completely wrong, wrong, wrong to say the movement today suggests everything will be OK. Everyone's anger is understandable, but the bigger issue is lessening the impact of this very serious recession that's upon us.


John Aravosis has more that can be read here. He also pulls together a number of articles from different economists and market watchers who point out that there is a lot that is going on which will need to be fixed. We are not out of the woods.

No comments: