Just this morning, in New York, John McCain was pretty straightforward about his perspective on the campaign: "I cannot carry on a campaign as though this dangerous situation had not occurred, or as though a solution were at hand, which it clearly is not. As of this morning I suspended my political campaign."
Yet his suspended campaign looks pretty much like his active campaign.
* McCain campaign offices in battleground states are open and operating, just like yesterday.
* McCain's television ads are on the air, just like yesterday.
* McCain media flacks are all over the news networks, just like yesterday.
* McCain's campaign staffers are working, just like yesterday.
* McCain's campaign website is up, soliciting contributions and promoting McCain's message, just like yesterday.
* For the big White House meeting today, Barack Obama was told not to bring any campaign aides, so he brought a legislative assistant from his Senate staff. John McCain was seen bringing a campaign advisor.
Nothing has actually changed at McCain Campaign HQ. Just one more bit of proof that McCain is no longer the honorable maverick he once claimed to be.